My Personal Journey of Life, Love, and Laughter





Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Day In The Life--My Life

There are days that I sometimes ask, “Why do I do what I do?” Well, let’s see—what do I do?

I’m an Executive Director for a Continuing Care Retirement Community that provides care to over 150 residents and employs 200+ employees. I am also an adjunct instructor for a SUNY Community College teaching courses in Medical Coding and Medical Terminology. I provide consultation services to a number of healthcare providers and am currently enrolled as a student myself—pursuing a degree in Health Information Technology. And last but most importantly, I am a wife that does my best to maintain a functioning household. Yes, there are days that I have to frequently review my calendar to ensure that I’m where I need to be and when!

Let’s start with examining my days at the CCRC….

Did you know that Long Term Care facilities were the number one most federally regulated industry in the country—even surpassing nuclear power plants? My days are often filled with corporate compliance, policy-making, and mediating. However, the diversity can range from Boardroom activity to on occasion, denture finding! The job is demanding and carries significant responsibility. So again, why do I do it when I obviously have other opportunities? To put it very simply, let me tell you about Jane (name changed to protect her privacy). Jane meets me at the front door every morning. Although her memory has faded and her body is frail, she greets me warmly and always proclaims, “There You Are!” Sometimes overshadowed with the cares of the day, thank you "Jane" for reminding me “why I do what I do!”

Next, an adjunct instructor for a SUNY Community College….

I’m obviously a little older than the newly graduated high school Seniors who are now entering into their post-education experience or I can be younger than the employee who was recently laid off and is now pursuing career alternatives. With either one, I find myself in a flurry of activity and sometimes confronted with individuals who have “challenging” personalities (I’m being nice here!) So why do I go directly from my day job (which you see can be interesting in itself) to another job that, on occasion, has its’ own challenges? As I was preparing for my upcoming semester, I came across a hand-written note from a previous student that read, “Thank you for helping me to be able to shine my light again!” Sometimes overshadowed with the cares of the classroom, thank you "Sandy" for reminding me “why I do what I do!”

An independent consultant….

After becoming a Certified Coding Specialist and through a series of events, opportunities became open that allowed me to share my expertise with various healthcare providers. When preparing for a job, I find myself up late at night researching and making sure that I have everything ready in preparation for my next visits. As I was making arrangements for one of my visits, the voice on the other end of the phone said, “Thanks for doing such a great job for us. We always look forward to your visits!” Sometimes overshadowed by the stress of preparation, thank you “Hospital” for reminding me “why I do what I do!”

As a student….

This one’s easy, I do “what I do” because I love the challenge and am intrigued by my new-found knowledge! Yes, there are courses and instructors that are more challenging than some, early morning study sessions, and deadlines that are met just in the nick of time.  Sometimes overshadowed by the expectations and time-restraints, thank you "to the hope of a bright future" for reminding me "why I do what I do!" 

Finally, most importantly, as a wife….

This one’s easy too—I do “what I do” because I simply love my husband! No, it’s not always easy, nor is it without an occasional conflict! Sometimes overshadowed by imperfection, however, you love me unconditionally--thank you "Mike" for reminding me "why I do what I do!" 

Looking over my post, I could become easily fatigued by just reading what my days hold. But let me share with you my secret to finding my energies and maintaining some sort of balance: It’s found by starting my days with Jesus. Before any of my days’ activities begin, Jesus and I spend some time together. I commit my days’ schedule to Him and the people who may be in it. Yes, there are days that are more challenging than some and there are days that are not always perfect, but because I have spent the time in study, prayer and supplication, I find the courage, the strength, and the power to have a victorious and joyful day —a result of the power of Jesus living in and through me!

At the end of a long day, and as my head hits the pillow, thank you “Jesus” for always being faithful and reminding me “why I do what I do!”

Addendum (May 7, 2011):


A more recent reminder as to "Why I do What I do" (which totally made my day!)

It was a gloomy, rainy morning & as I was walking through the parking lot from my vehicle, heading towards the entrance of my office, I began to hear all of this commotion coming from one of the resident's windows. Here, three ladies who reside in our Alzheimer's Dementia Unit (who have become the best of friends), were standing at the window--banging on the window to get my attention. When I looked over, all three were standing in the window with huge smiles and were waving away to provide me with a warm, morning greeting! I cannot begin to tell you how their small act of kindness melted my heart!

When I arrived to my desk with humble tears streaming down my face, I was once again mindful to "Why I do What I do" at our CCRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment