It’s hard to believe that another birthday has come and gone—where did the time go? If you haven’t noticed from my Facebook posts, celebrating my birhtday is one of my favorite past-times. To some, it’s just another day. To me, it’s another reminder of God’s plan for my life. He tells us in Psalms that he “created my inmost being; knit me together in my mother’s womb” and a portion of a poem by Russell Kelfer sums up these sentiments—“You are who you are for a reason. You’re part of an intricate plan. You’re a precious and perfect unique design, called God’s special woman (or man). You look like you look for a reason. Our God made no mistake. He knit you together within the womb, You’re just what he wanted to make…” This in itself is reason to celebrate! And celebrate, we shall! Thanks to my husband, my girlfriends, and my office girls, the month has been filled with parties, pampering, and lots of good eats! My heartfelt gratitude for making me feel so special—the way God intended as He was creating my uniqueness while still in my mother’s womb!
However, celebrating is just a component of my birthday importance. I also value the opportunity to reflect on the past year and look forward to another year--another year to pursue our dreams and goals, another year to find ways to utilize my gifts and talents in hopes of building God’s kingdom. Oh, so much work to do, but yet seems so little time (if the next year flew by as quickly as last year!) It appears that I’m planning on being “task” oriented or busy all of the time. Well, quite the contrary. Through several affirmations over the last couple of months, I’m choosing to be “silent” in the coming year. Silence that may lead to some tasks and busyness, but a silence that makes my days ahead specifically clear. So, what does silence look like?
In the recent Bible study, Thin Again, by Arthur and Judy Halliday—this is what they have to say about Silence:
“Silence is required for deep change to occur. We previously avoided this silent place because we have been afraid to experience the stillness. But it is only when we find ourselves silenced by the gravity of our condition that we can begin to experience the healing of the Great Physician. Slowing down and practicing the principles, we can meet our living God. Here, in the silence, God shows us what is in our hearts and speaks his response. In the silence we are stunned by what we hear. Not fury, not condemnation, but God’s voice declaring his love, compassion, mercy, and grace, and his promise to make us whole.” It goes on to say, “In order to savor life we must experience stillness—a stillness in our inner being; a stillness in our approach to life; a stillness that will lead to an intimate relationship with God.” An intimitate relationship with God--my heart's desire.
“Dear God, thank you that you have provided a way for me to live a holy life—not a perfect life but a life that allows me to come to you humbly just as I am. In the still silence of our intimacy, help me to listen for your voice as you instruct me and teach me. I pray that you will help me to set aside quiet time to be sensitive to your leading. I pray that you will help me not to hold back from an intimate loving relationship with you, and that I will allow you to use me to reach out in love to others who are hurting. Help me to let your light shine before many that they may see your good deeds and praise you! Thank you. Amen.”
So, the silence begins….
Wow...no wonder you told me to check out your blog...you must have felt hugged by God on Sunday when you heard Brad's sermon!
ReplyDeleteI'm a big proponent of getting still. I know folks think I talk a lot...but maybe that's because I get plenty of quiet time during the week. I've read a wonderful book (about 5 times since 1991 actually), "When the Heart Waits" by Sue Monk Kidd. She writes of a personal time she went through when she learned to "cocoon" so God could take her from the caterpillar stage to become the butterfly He'd always intended her to be. If you like to read, I highly suggest this book...it will fit well with you stillness and quietness.
Thanks for sharing your blog!