My Personal Journey of Life, Love, and Laughter





Friday, August 20, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Did you get a chance to see the movie “Eat Pray Love?” Starring Julia Roberts, is a movie based on the true-life story of Elizabeth Gilbert. Elizabeth had found herself in the midst of divorce and broken relationships. While in the depths of a mundane career, she seeks out a chance encounter with a “medicine man.” (Traveling the globe and intentionally seeking out a medicine man seems hardly mundane to me!) Anyways, this chance encounter prompts Elizabeth to take a risk, a risk that seems crazy to some. However, a risk that takes her to Italy, India, and Bali. Through her journey of self-discovery, she literally discovers the meaning of Eat, Pray, and Love. To not fall into the category of a movie-spoiler, I won’t indulge in any more of the movie details!

So, why do I resonate or feel a special “connectedness” to this particular movie? To explain my answer, requires a risk on my part. A risk that opens myself to vulnerability and a glimpse into my life that is indeed personal. Well, if I’ve created a blog page and share sentiments such as “My personal journey of Life, Love, and Laughter” then you’re just going to have to bear with me—after all, this IS MY STORY!

About eleven years ago, I too, found myself on the verge of divorce. My marriage was definitely at a cross-roads and I had a decision to make. Was I going to stick out a marriage that I found to be so dissatisfying (at the age of 29!) or was I going to move forward with thoughts and temptations of “the grass is greener on the other side?” A decision that literally took me to internal depths that I never would have imagined that even existed!

Through a series of chance encounters of my own (and a reputation for exhibiting professional excellence), I was provided the opportunity to be a member of a professional team that would, like Elizabeth Gilbert, take me to another part of the world on a trip to India. For five weeks, I would live, eat, and pray with and amongst the nationals. Keeping in mind, I was still married. What did my husband say when I came home one afternnon and announced that I would shortly be boarding a plane to India? He, at this point, knew that there was nothing that he could say or do that would prevent me from going. Looking back, do I really believe that this trip was orchestrated as a chance? Not for a minute!

Long story short (and VERY personal details that are only reserved for a special few--sorry, not going to make it to my blog!), my entire being was exposed to sites, sounds, smells, fears, and feelings that I had truly never experienced before (as they were for Elizabeth Gilbert). Through this God-given adventure (and an adventure it was!) my life was literally transformed. Transformed to the extent that I did indeed discover who I was and who I wanted to be in the future. Now, ten years later, I am so grateful to say—I am still married to the same man that I left behind as I boarded that plane to India! My personal “LOVE” ending to Eat, Pray, and Love.

Oh-Oh, however, this movie has also “wettened” my appetite for a return trip to India--actually a trip that I have been praying about for some time (even before the movie!). Again, in my “silence,” we’ll see how God opens and closes the doors as He sees fit. I strongly feel that He is on the verge of something though--anybody willing to tag along for an adventure of a life-time?  And that's exactly what it will be--an adventure of a lifetime!

2 comments:

  1. Linda...I'm ready for another mission experience. South Africa was such an incredible encounter...and I still hear from many of the young men and women there through e-mail and facebook.

    I have to say, I had my heart set on seeing "Eat, Pray, Love" until I read the reviews. It's my understanding that Elizabeth left a loving husband who provided for her and wanted to better himself for the sake of his family. I also understand she slept with someone to whom she was not married. She was "gluttonous" at times (according to the critic talking about the movie)...and she found her "spirituality" in mysticism instead of in the One, True Living God. I also read somewhere that Julia Roberts converted to Buddhism as a result of her involvement with the movie. Somehow all of that added up for me to believe this wasn't the movie for me. It sounded a bit shallow and materialistic.

    However...your description of your "life experience" I happen to know was nowhere near shallow and certainly not materialistic. You felt God moving in you to love the unloveable, to accept what others would consider unacceptable...and you left a chunk of your heart in India if your experience was anything like mine in South Africa.

    I'm excited to see what God is going to do with you in your obedience to Him and your seeking to be closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lauren for your comments! To make myself clear, I do agree with your initial assessment of the movie. Do I agree with some of the choices that Elizabeth Gilbert made? Absolutely not. However, unfortunately, there was a time in my life that I was also making wrong choices in my relationships. Those choices led me on my described "adventure." An adventure, somewhat like Elizabeth's, that led to some significant soul-searching. Thankfully, unlike Elizabeth, my self-discovery did indeed bring me back to the "One, True Living God."

    Shallow, materialistic--maybe for some, again however, I was more intrigued by the "risk" that was taken on the part of Elizabeth to pick up, leave everything behind, and to travel the world in hopes of finding who she truly was. A risk that some women would never dare to take! A similar risk that I made eleven years ago. Was it right? Was it noble? Probably not. Again, however--I firmly believe that I wouldn't be the woman that I am today if I hadn't taken that risk.

    There is a portion of my heart that is indeed in India. I will be going back someday--I think sooner than later & I, too, am excited to see what God is going to do!

    ReplyDelete